Check out the new Deerhoof video for "We Do Parties," which just debuted on Pitchfork.tv. It features the band walking around the streets of Tokyo playing with glow sticks, skateboarding, and singing karaoke. Video directed by Michinori "Mitch" Saigo.
"We Do Parties" appears on Deerhoof's latest album, Breakup Song, which you can get on white vinyl RIGHT HERE.
This April, Deerhoof will embark on another US tour in support of their latest album, Breakup Song. The tour will mostly be around the Midwest/East Coast and will include a stop at this year's Mission Creek Festival in Iowa City, IA. Check out the entire list of dates below.
Deerhoof Tour Dates:
04/04 - St. Louis, MO @ The Firebird 04/06 - Madison, WI @ UW-Madison Music Hall 04/07 - Iowa City, IA @ The Mill (Mission Creek Festival) 04/08 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall 04/09 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Pryamid Scheme 04/11 - Pontiac, MI @ Crofoot Pike Room 04/12 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Andy Warhol Theatre 04/13 - Rochester, NY @ Water St. Music Hall 04/14 - Albany, NY @ Valentine's 04/15 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
This just in: We're extremely excited to be releasing the new Carousel 7" from San Francisco's Painted Palms on 3/5! The 7" is available for pre-order now RIGHT HERE. All pre-orders receive an instant MP3 download for both songs at checkout.
If you're unfamiliar with Painted Palms, you might remember them opening for of Montreal during their 2011 tour. Kevin Barnes heard Painted Palms' Canopy EP and personally asked them to join the tour himself.
You can listen to the Carousel's self-titled A-side over on SPIN HERE (or stream it above).
Today's the day! Shugo Tokumaru's latest (and finest) album, In Focus?, is officially out today in the US, UK, and Europe. Look for it at your favorite local record shop, or order directly through the PV online store RIGHT HERE (check out the clear vinyl above).
Pitchfork recently debuted the incredibly intricate new video for "Katachi," which features amazing stop-animation work by directors Kijek / Adamski. Watch it above!
"Shugo Tokumaru is one of those rare people who can pile instruments all over each other in a way that makes no sense on paper and then make it come off as the most natural thing in the world." - Pitchfork (7.6)
And don't forget, the album is streaming in its entirety over at Under the RadarHERE!
Want a sneak peak at Sonny Smith's 100 Records Vol. 3 one week before release date? The entire album is streaming on Consequence of Sound RIGHT HERE. If you like what you hear, cruise on over to the PV online store and pick up a copy on white vinyl!
The new Shugo Tokumaru video for "Katachi" made its debut on Pitchfork today (watch it above). The video was directed by Kijek / Adamski and features some SERIOUS stop motion animation skills. This thing will blow you away for sure.
"Katachi" is featured on Shugo Tokumaru's new album, In Focus?, which comes out tomorrow!
Excited / thrilled / overjoyed / PUMPED...these are all perfect descriptions for how we feel about Portland, OR's Wampire joining the Polyvinyl family! Their new album, Curiosity, will be coming out later this year in May.
But you won't have to wait that long to hear new Wampire material. Pitchfork debuted the band's amazing new single "The Hearse" earlier today right here (you can also stream it above). The song is featured on The Hearse 7" (as well as Curiosity), which also includes a Kraftwerk cover on the B-side. The 7" comes out March 19th and is available for pre-order RIGHT HERE on purple vinyl (limited to 500).
Attention Japan: Tim and Nate Kinsella will be in your neck of the woods as of today for an 8 date tour. Tim will be playing Joan of Arc songs solo while Nate will be performing solo as Birthmark. Go see them if you're around! Check out the dates below:
1/10/13 Tokyo | O-NEST 1/11/13 Kyoto | TakutakuT 1/12/13 Fukuoka | IBIZARTE w/ Autumnleaf 1/13/13 Kumamoto | Navaro w/ Doit Science, Autumnleaf 1/14/13 Osaka | common café 1/15/13 Nagoya | Tokuzo w/ Gofish Torio 1/16/13 Matsumoto | salon as salon 1/17/13 Tokyo | O-NEST
Oh hey, word on the street is that you can hear the new STRFKR song "Beach Monster" over at NPR's All Songs Considered right now. Take a listen by clicking HERE. "Beach Monster" appears on the band's upcoming album, Miracle Mile, which comes out 2/19/13. Pre-order it HERE.
American Hipster Presents, a YouTube documentary series that travels to major US cities showcasing the various passions of today's creative force through video portraits, recently teamed up with STRFKR while they were in Portland, OR. Watch as the guys perform at MusicFest NW, shoot some hoops with friends, then hit the road during last year's tour w/ Onuinu.
We're extremely excited to announce that Generationals have officially joined the Polyvinyl family! Their new album, Heza, will be released worldwide on CD, LP, cassette, and digital formats 4/2/13 and is currenlty available for pre-order RIGHT HERE. The album's first single, "Spinoza," debuted on Pitchfork today and can be heard below.
Heza will be available on a special run of neon red vinyl (limited to 500 copies and only available through the PV store). All record shops will carry a clear vinyl version.
More about Generationals:
Since releasing their debut full-length Con Law in 2009, Generationals have consistently delivered pop hooks shone through a melancholic prism. This trend continued with 2010's Trust EP and again on 2011's full-length Actor-Caster.
Now, with Heza, the band (Ted Joyner & Grant Widmer) deliver all that you've come to love from them, only now the focus is on rhythms and textures, revealing a more patient band -- one willing to dig for deeper gems than in their previous work.
Recorded in phases at Jim Eno's Public Hifi in Austin, producer Daniel Black's Bent Black studio in D.C., and their hometown of New Orleans, these songs
show restraint, with hooks developing in the spaces between sounds.
The new Shugo Tokumaru album, In Focus?, will be our first release of 2013, and we couldn't be more thrilled! Stereogum just posted the album's second track "Katachi" and called it a "lush piece of bliss..." Check it out HERE.
The album comes out 1/22 on CD / LP (clear vinyl) / digital formats. Grab a copy from our online store RIGHT HERE.
And don't forget about Shugo's upcoming US tour with Kishi Bashi. Check out the dates & get tickets on our TOUR PAGE.
What better way to start the new year than with a brand new STRFKR song? Am I right, or am I right? Take a listen to their newest song "Say To You" above!
The new STRFKR album, Miracle Mile, comes out Feb 19th on CD / 2xLP / cassette and is available for pre-order now! And don't forget, there's a limited edition red/green vinyl version available ONLY through the PV online store.
In addition to our staff's "Best of 2012" lists, a few of our bands whipped together lists of their own. Read on to see what Braid, Japandroids, Xiu Xiu, and Dusted were rocking last year.
Bob Nanna's Top 10 songs from 2012:
10. "The Birthday Song" - Fly Moon Royalty 09. "Beg For The Night" - Twin Shadow 08. "Impregnable Question" - Dirty Projectors 07. "Ruin" - Cat Power 06. "Elephant" - Tame Impala 05. "I'm Not Immune" - forgetters 04. "Montauk" - Rufus Wainwright 03. "Breezeblocks" - Alt-J 02. "Museum of Flight" - Damien Jurado 01. "Old & Gray" - Maps & Atlases
DUSTED (Brian Borcherdt)
Beak- >> Cooooool record. Daphni- Jaio Long- Dan Snaith is always good. Metz- my friends finally released this great record, recorded by my Holy F bandmate Graham Walsh. Woods- Bend Beyond- Another predictably good annual instalment from these guys. Soupcans- Good Feelings - More Toronto punk. "Negative Genes" is one of the best songs of the year. Bishop Morocco- Old Boys EP- Just as good or better than their debut. Codeine- When I See the Sun (Box Set)- One of favourite 90s bands reissued. So it doesn't count, right? Can- Lost Tapes- Same as above? Does it count? I reserve the last two spots for two of my favourite bands that I got to tour with, A Place to Bury Strangers and Perfume Genius. Thanks for the memories.
1. Titus Andronicus - Still Life with Hot Deuce on Silver Platter 2. Swearin - Here to Hear 3. PAWS - Bloodline 4. King Tuff - Bad Thing 5. Apollo Ghosts - Weekend Fantasy
1. A$AP Rocky - Goldie 2. Paul Westerberg - My Road Now 3. Thee Oh Sees - Flood's New Light 4. Ladyhawk - You Read My Mind 5. Dirty Three - Sometimes I've Forget You've Gone
10 favorite kraftwerk songs i listened to like an obsessive maniac in 2012.
hall of mirrors pocket calculator neon lights radioactivity metal on metal europe endless it's more fun to compute the man machine ohm sweet ohm the robotsHide More
We know, we know...the last thing you want to do right now is read another year-end list. But hey, we want to participate too! Here's our Best of 2012 lists, curated by the entire Polyvinyl staff. Stay tuned for our artist's lists.
Matt Lunsford (Co-Owner) Matt's top 8 things that start with 'P' in chronological order!
- Picnics in March. - Pitchfork Music Fest Japandroids Set. - Panhandle of Florida family beach trip in August. - Pygmalion Music Fest 2012 - my favorite one yet. - Pyg roast post-Pygmalion. - PV West office visit. - PV HQ office face-lift. - Past is a Grotesque Animal performed by of Montreal at Dec Metro show.
1. Simon and Miles 2. Matt 3. Dexter 4. STRFKR 5. of Montreal Live show @ The Metro. 6. Our summer trip to Destin Fl 7. Japandroids 8. The Walking Dead 9. Wreck It Ralph 10. Matt & Kim
Seth (Label Manager) In no particular order
Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan Tame Impala - Lonerism exitmusic - Passage Melody's Echo Chamber - S/T Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Mature Themes Beach House - Bloom Matthew E White - Big Inner Diiv - Oshin Chris Cohen - Overgrown Path Chromatics - Kill For Love
Mark (Retail Manager) Best one-liners of 2012.
1. Japandroids sing "You're not mine to die for anymore, so I must live." (The House That Heaven Built - Japandroids) 2. This drunk guy in the back of a police car sings "Gallileo, Gallileo" (Bohemian Rhapsody - Robert Wilkinson) 3. Jesse from Breaking Bad says "I'm a blowfish!" (Blowfish scene - Breaking Bad) 4. Iggy Pop somehow appears on the Ke$ha album just long enough to sing "Cockroaches do it in garbage cans." (Dirty Love - Ke$ha) 5. The white guy running for president says he has "binders full of women" (Debate Fail - Mitt Romney) 6. Nicki Minaj makes fun of B.o.B.'s song "Airplanes" during a verse in a different B.o.B. song (Out Of My Mind - B.o.B.) 7. Kimbra sings "Used to know-ow-ow" during the crescendo in that Goyte song (Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye) 8. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros drop the line "Yeah, that's what's up" even though they're a folk band (That's What's Up - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros) 9. Frank Ocean says "Got a beach house I could sell you in Idaho." (Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean) 10. The short kid with braids does a verse in this song. I'm not sure what he's saying but something about his delivery seems like he's dropping golden nuggets of truth.
Chris (Production Manager) Top 10 Non-PV Records
1. Cloud Nothings / Attack on Memory 2. White Lung / Sorry 3. The Menzingers / On the Impossible Past 4. Make Do and Mend / Everything You Ever Loved 5. My Chemical Romance / Conventional Weapons: Number One 6. Swearin' / Swearin' 7. Passion Pit / Gossamer 8. Adventures / Adventures 9. Yellowcard / Southern Air 10. (tie) METZ / METZ and PAWS / PAWS
Sara (Mailorder Manager) Favorite Albums (in a loose order)
Beach House - Bloom Frankie Rose - Interstellar Passion Pit - Gossamer Sharon Van Etten - Tramp Damien Jurado - Maraqopa Stars - The North That Ghost - Rosalind EP
Patricia (Label Publicist) Top 2012 Albums (in no particular order)
1. Woods - Bend Beyond 2. M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion 3. Andrew Bird - Break
It Yourself 4. DIIV - Oshin 5. Damien Jurado - Maraqopa 6. Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams 7. Allah-las - (self-titled) 8. Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now 9. Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives 10. The Last Names - Wildnerness
Top 2012 Moments
1. Getting hitched. 2. Announcing the upcoming birth of our baby girl.
Andy (Promotions Manager) RECORDS (non PV titles)
1. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magelian 2. Chris Cohen - Overgrown Path 3. Ariel Pink's Haunted Grafitti - Mature Themes 4. Foxygen - Take The Kids Off Broadway 5. The Babies - Our House on the HIll
1. Growing a mustache w/ Devin, Mike, and Nick, then going to Mexico. 2. Watching Trish randomly jump into a hotel pool, then eat 8 Doritos locos tacos in under 30 mins at SXSW. Seth lost $20. 3. Watching of Montreal on The Jimmy Fallon show in NYC / getting free drinks on the plane w/ Frank and Seth. 4. Watching The Dirty Projectors at Pygmalion Music Festival. 5. Trish and Matt's wedding.
1. Masked Intruder - S/T 2. The Dopamines - Vices 3. Single Mothers - S/T 7" 4. The Thing That Ate Larry Livermore Compilation
5. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music 6. King Tuff - S/T 7. Passion Pit - Gossamer 8. Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired 9. Grimes - Visions 10. THIS
Patrick (Retail Shipping Manager)
1. Japandroids - Celebration Rock 2. Purity Ring - Shrines 3. Death Grips - The Money Store 4. Beach House - Bloom 5. The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past
Family and loved ones. Less hangovers, more regulated sleep schedule. All of Pitchfork Music Fest, including a perfectly executed book punt, the haunted Congress Hotel, and a pair of ruined Chucks. Putting mileage on this and this. Getting some quality time with the PV West Coast and NY offices.
Val (Publicity Assistant)
alt-j : Awesome Wave King Tuff : King Tuff Japandroids : Celebration Rock Spotting Woody Allen while he was directing his new film Obama's victory speech Being old enough to watch the Giants win the World Series from a bar in the Haight this time around The Raveonettes : Observator Emily Wells : Mama Hospitality : Hospitality Seeing The Raveonettes live at Bimbo's
Aaron (Mailorder Assistant)
1. [Spot reserved for the new My Bloody Valentine album due out by the end of the month] 2. Salvation - House of the Beating Hell 3. Horrible Things - Dumb Days 4. Lump and the Dumpers - s//t DEMO 5. Traveling - End of Days EP 6. Grimes - Visions 7. Crazy Spirit - s//t LP 8. Sweet Tooth - Blister Music 9. Anna Karenina/Anna Karina - Autobiographies 10. Hoax/Swn Leather - split flexi 11. Fumes - s//t EP
STRFKR were worried about the world ending on Friday...so they decided that you all should hear at least one more new STRFKR song, just in case that does in fact happen! The band just posted this stream of their jam "Leave It All Behind" and it rules. Take a listen below.
This song appears on the band's upcoming album, Miracle Mile, which will be released 2/19/13 on 2xLP, CD, cassette, and digital formats. It's even available as a special red/green vinyl edition. Pre-orders are posted RIGHT HERE!
And don't forget, STRFKR will be hitting the road next year with Blackbird Blackbird! Check out all the dates on our TOUR PAGE.